Sabres Brimming With Confidence After Another Victory

The Buffalo Sabres continue to be the hottest club in the NHL, winning 4-1 over the Los Angeles Kings for their fifth victory in a row on Thursday. The Sabres are now eight points up on the Florida Panthers in the race for a playoff spot, and tied with Boston and Montreal for third place in the Atlantic Division, but winger Alex Tuch, who scored a hat trick in the win, was thinking of higher goals after the game. 

"We're coming in with a lot of confidence. "Everybody's coming in trying to prove themselves, and we're trying to prove as a team that we're legit. We're not just going to go for the playoffs. We're going to go for the Cup," Tuch said. "That's our goal, to get better each and every day. That's it. That's the end goal. We're not in here just to squeak in. We're here to try to keep winning."

Other Sabres Stories

Six Former Sabres Who Signed Elsewhere

While it is understandable that Buffalo is brimming with confidence after going 20-3-1 in the last 24 games and rising like a phoenix from the ashes, that has to be balanced with the fact that they were in last place in the Eastern Conference in mid-December after firing GM Kevyn Adams and that everything is going right since. 

Could Rasmus Dahlin win a Norris Trophy?

Are the real Sabres the team that struggled through the first third of the season, or the one that has been arguably the best club in the league in the middle third? One thing is for certain, this confident young squad and head coach Lindy Ruff wishes they could keep playing based on how hot they are. 

"It's hard to say (whether the break will be a good or bad thing)," Ruff said earlier in the week. "I think we've pushed hard. I think you've got to use that break to get refreshed, but at the same time, you've got to use it to be ready from day one as soon as it starts right afterwards."

Buffalo has two more home games against Montreal on Saturday and Pittsburgh next Thursday, with back-to-back road games in Florida against the Panthers on Monday and Lightning on Tuesday sandwiched in between before breaking for the Olympics for nearly three weeks. 

Follow Michael on X, Instagram @MikeInBuffalo

THN.com/Free
THN.com/Free

Matt Luff Finds His Way Back Onto The Blues Roster

The St. Louis Blues have recalled winger Matt Luff from the AHL’s Springfield Thunderbirds for the second time in as many days. 

The recall is once again on an emergency basis as the Blues have several players who are considered game-time decisions but will likely play on Saturday.

Luff, alongside Hugh McGing, was recalled from the Thunderbirds on Thursday before the Blues’ game against the Florida Panthers. Dylan Holloway was placed on the injured reserve, and Jordan Kyrou, as well as Jake Neighbours, were questionable, although they both did play.

Neighbours and Jimmy Snuggerud were absent from practice today due to maintenance, and both are game-time decisions on Saturday against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Pius Suter is also a game-time decision.

Neighbours, Snuggerud Expected To Play; Suter Is Option For SaturdayNeighbours, Snuggerud Expected To Play; Suter Is Option For SaturdayBlues forwards took maintenance day for Friday's practice; center on verge of returning from high ankle sprain; Robert Thomas considered day to day, Dylan Holloway shut down through Olympics

Luff will most likely be sent back down to the Thunderbirds prior to puck drop, like he and McGing were yesterday, but if a spot in the lineup opens up because several players aren’t able to play, the Blues will have the insurance that Luff can slide into the lineup. 

The 28-year-old Luff has scored one goal in five games in the NHL this season, while pouring in 13 goals and 33 points in 33 AHL games. 

Image

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.

Jets Racing The Clock On Whether To Buy Or Sell At Trade Deadline

The Winnipeg Jets were outmatched Thursday night against the Tampa Bay Lightning and fell 4-1 in a decisive loss. The defeat adds to a string of struggles for the Jets, who have now lost five of their last seven games just as they were beginning to gain momentum.

Winnipeg's trajectory continues downward and could worsen with their challenging remaining schedule. The Jets currently hold a 21-25-7 record, tied with the St. Louis Blues for the third-worst record in the Western Conference.

They still face difficult matchups, including three more games against the Colorado Avalanche, two against the Dallas Stars, and single games against the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, and Tampa Bay Lightning, the team that just defeated them.

The Jets' road ahead will not get easier and their chances of climbing out of the league basement are diminishing. Time is also running short for the organization to make key decisions about the team’s direction.

According to insiders at TSN, the Jets are still trying to compete and see if they can make a playoff push. Meanwhile, the Olympic trade freeze begins next Wednesday, a period when many believe trades will start to take shape. Once the Olympics conclude, the trade deadline follows on March 6.

They must act quickly as the team can either make moves to strengthen the roster and attempt a turnaround or trade pending free agents and begin planning for next season. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff faces a shrinking window to make decisions. Acting promptly would give him the ability to field trade offers and pursue players without being rushed. 

The next two games before the trade freeze will provide insight into the team’s strategy, as the Jets face the back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Florida Panthers on the road followed by a matchup with one of the top teams in the conference, the Dallas Stars.

Image

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.

3 Defensemen The Red Wings Could Add Ahead Of Trade Deadline

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Detroit Red Wings have clear trade priorities as they approach the Olympic trade freeze and the March 6 trade deadline. Reports indicate that GM Steve Yzerman is focused on acquiring a second-line center and a top-four defenseman. With multiple players available at both positions, it will be interesting to see which direction Detroit ultimately takes.

On Friday, we highlighted three potential options for the Red Wings at second-line center, including some surprising names. This time, we turn our attention to the defensive side of the roster and examine several options Detroit could explore. 

Similar to the approach with centers, the team could target veteran players with little contract term to provide short-term help without blocking the development of prospects. Alternatively, they could pursue players with longer contracts, which aligns with Yzerman’s preference and could give Detroit a meaningful asset for years to come.

With that in mind, we have identified several potential targets across these approaches and narrowed the list to three players who present compelling cases in terms of expected cost, age, and potential impact for the Red Wings.

Justin Faulk 

St. Louis has struggled this season, and many expect the Blues to be sellers at the trade deadline. One of their most valuable assets likely to be on the market is 33-year-old defenseman Justin Faulk. A Minnesota native, Faulk has played over 1,000 NHL games and has been an unexpectedly strong offensive contributor this season, recording 11 goals and 16 assists for 27 points in 54 games.

Faulk is the oldest defender among the candidates but also the most experienced as a top-four defenseman, consistently playing 22 to 24 minutes per game in all but one of his 15 NHL seasons. He is a three-time All-Star with Stanley Cup experience and still has plenty to offer, making him an attractive option for a Red Wings team seeking a veteran presence who can contribute offensively.

While he carries a $6.5 million cap hit with two years remaining on his contract, acquiring Faulk could be a bold move that strengthens the Red Wings’ defensive depth.

He could pair effectively with Albert Johansson on the bottom pairing, adding stability while allowing Jacob Bernard-Docker to move into a seventh-defenseman role and fill in on either side when needed, as he recently did for the injured Simon Edvinsson on the top pairing. Faulk’s offensive ability could also provide an additional scoring threat on the ice, potentially boosting the team’s overall attack.

Bookmark The Hockey News Detroit Red Wings team site to stay connected to the latest newsgame-day coverage, and player features

Braden Schneider 

The pending restricted free agent from New York would likely require the biggest investment of any player on this list but could also have the most impact. The 24-year-old Saskatchewan native has shown flashes as a solid defensive defenseman for the Rangers in recent years.

However, the transition to the system and structure under newly hired coach Mike Sullivan has not suited Schneider’s style of play. Many believe that if given the opportunity with a new team, the former 19th overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft could return to form as a reliable defender.

Still very young, Schneider has the potential to develop into an effective top-four defenseman for years to come. Being a restricted free agent under team control this summer means any team pursuing him will need to impress Chris Drury and New York’s management.

Detroit is one of the few teams with the draft picks, prospects, and assets to make a trade for Schneider feasible, though it will ultimately depend on whether they feel a deal offers enough value.

Logan Stanley

The Winnipeg Jets are in the midst of one of the most dramatic single-season turnarounds in NHL history, though not in the way you might expect. Unlike the football example of Curt Cignetti and the Indiana Hoosiers, the Jets went from Stanley Cup contenders and Presidents’ Trophy winners last season to one of the league’s worst teams this year.

One of the few bright spots has been pending free agent Logan Stanley, a former 18th overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft. While he might not fit into the Red Wings’ top-four, Stanley could be a solid addition to the bottom pairing.

He is primarily a left-shot defenseman, which does not align perfectly with Detroit’s reported preference for right-handed defensemen, although he can play both sides and the Red Wings may already exploring the possibility of acquiring him.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported Friday that the Red Wings and Jets have a match in potential trade discussions. While Friedman did not confirm which player has been the focus, he speculated it could be either Stanley or veteran Luke Schenn.

At 27, Stanley is the younger and longer-term option compared to 36-year-old Schenn. This season, Stanley is enjoying a career year with eight goals and nine assists for 17 points in 52 games, mainly on the bottom pairing.

Standing six-foot-seven, Stanley would give Detroit a second towering presence on defense alongside Simon Edvinsson. He likely will not cost much unless a bidding war develops. Adding him would provide valuable depth and could allow the Red Wings to bring him back if he proves to be a solid fit at an agreeable number for both sides.

Never miss a story by adding us to your Google News favorites!

Image

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.

Kings And GM Holland Asking 'Hard Questions' Amid Rumors With Panarin And Kane

With the NHL's Olympic break and the trade deadline approaching, the Los Angeles Kings have been linked to a couple of forwards.

There have been plenty of reports regarding New York Rangers star left winger Artemi Panarin and Vancouver Canucks left winger Evander Kane.

On Friday's episode of the 32 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman, the NHL insider took a deeper dive into where the Kings' organization stands in terms of how they would like to operate going into the deadline.

Friedman said that in relation to the trade rumors for Kane from Vancouver, Los Angeles' front office was asking themselves the "hard questions."

"There were some rumors about the Kings and Evander Kane," Friedman said on the podcast. "One of the things I heard is that the Kings were looking at where they are, and they were saying, 'Does it really make sense for us to give up some of our assets for short-term fixes? (Does) it really makes sense for us to give up our future assets at all?'

"I believe internally that organization has been asking some hard questions about where they really are and what is their smartest path," Friedman added.

The Kings Should Stay Away From Canucks' Evander KaneThe Kings Should Stay Away From Canucks' Evander KaneThe Vancouver Canucks are tearing down their roster, and Evander Kane is a name that has come up in trade rumors. The Los Angeles Kings reportedly have interest in the veteran forward, but acquiring Kane may not be the smartest move for a team on the outside looking in.

For the past month, the Kings have been hopping in and out of a playoff spot due to inconsistent play, and they have one of the league's worst offenses. They are tied for the second-least goals in the NHL with 134, and are bottom five in power-play percentage at 16 percent.

Despite offensive struggles, Los Angeles isn't in the worst spot to qualify for the post-season with all circumstances considered. The Kings are two spots out of the post-season, but are just two points behind the Anaheim Ducks, who own the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference and have two games in hand on their state rivals. 

Friedman also admitted that the Kings have trouble scoring, and while the team has talented offensive wingers in Kevin Fiala and Adrian Kempe, Panarin could help with those struggles.

Why The Kings Shouldn't Pursue Artemi PanarinWhy The Kings Shouldn't Pursue Artemi PanarinThe New York Rangers are retooling and have made Artemi Panarin available ahead of this year's NHL Trade Deadline. The Los Angeles Kings are among a plethora of teams with interest in acquiring the four time all-star. However it may not be the best course of action for the Kings to take.

However, along with the interest in Panarin comes the consequence of acquiring an aging player who is currently 34 years old and wants to sign an extension with whatever team he gets moved to this year. 

The Sportsnet insider noted that the possible extension for Panarin, and how big it may be, is what concerns Kings GM Ken Holland.

Nonetheless, it was reported on the podcast that Los Angeles would be open to signing Panarin to an extension as part of the deal. Even with their concerns about how that deal could play out, there's no doubt they'll consider different outcomes for the Rangers superstar.

Artemi Panarin (Aaron Doster-Imagn Images)
Artemi Panarin (Aaron Doster-Imagn Images)

"If Panarin drops on (the Kings') laps, I would be very curious to how L.A. would say, 'no, we're not doing this,'" Friedman said.

For the record, Panarin is in the final year of a seven-year contract that pays him $11.6 million against the salary cap. He also has a full no-move clause on his deal, meaning he can pick and choose where he would like to go.

The former Calder Trophy winner has 19 goals and 57 points this season for the Blueshirts in 52 appearances.


Image

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.

Panthers' Brad Marchand Sustains An Undisclosed Injury Against Blues; Set To Re-Evaluated

Florida Panthers winger Brad Marchand was forced to exit last night’s game against the St. Louis Blues with an undisclosed injury.

Coach Paul Maurice spoke to the media following the game, stating that Marchand would be looked at “tonight and tomorrow,” per Florida Hockey Now’s George Richards.

Marchand had skated in just 11:19 of ice time before exiting the game. The 37-year-old had played the first two periods but did not join the team when they took the ice for the third period. 

Marchand had recently returned after missing six games following a collision with Toronto Maple Leafs winger Bobby McMann. He played four games in his return, scoring two goals and four points. This season, Marchand has notched 25 goals and 50 points in 45 games.

The Panthers now find themselves eight points back of the Boston Bruins for the second wild card spot, although they have played two fewer games than the Bruins. If Marchand is out long-term, it would greatly affect the Panthers’ chances of making the playoffs.

It would also affect his ability to play for Team Canada at the Olympics. The NHL pauses its schedule in a week, and the Panthers are set to play four more games. 

More information will hopefully be provided when the Panthers practice and Maurice speaks to the media. 

Image

For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.