LAS VEGAS (AP) — Golden Knights coach Bruce Cassidy took the highly unusual step of conducting a video review with his players during the second intermission of Vegas' 5-4 shootout loss to the Dallas Stars.
The Golden Knights gave up three goals in the second period on Thursday before rallying with three of their own in the third to force overtime.
“I don't know if I've done that in 10 years,” Cassidy said. “We're going to try different things to sort of get the players to understand so maybe then they see it, they understand what they're doing.”
Cassidy is trying to find the right levers to push with the Golden Knights having lost five of their past six games, though they picked up a point in each of the last two by playing beyond regulation. Those points are why Vegas is tied with Edmonton for first in the Pacific Division and not trailing the Oilers.
The Golden Knights have struggled when games have gone to overtime or a shootout. They are 1-6 in shootouts, and their 14 extra-time losses is on pace to shatter the NHL record of 18 set by four teams.
All those loser points have allowed Vegas to remain atop the division, but failing to capture the extra point in so many games also has prevented the injury-plagued Golden Knights from establishing a significant lead in the Pacific.
BetMGM Sportsbook lists the Golden Knights with the fourth-best odds (+825) to win the Stanley Cup.
“Play direct,” Cassidy said. “You've heard me say that, so we'll keep saying it. That's why it's baffling when they see the end result, so it's on me to do a better job to get them to understand. So we did a video session after the second period. It's strange in the NHL to do it midgame, but if that's what it takes to get their attention and get it right, then that's what we'll do.”
The Montreal Canadiens have four players participating in the 2026 Olympic Games in Milano, Italy: Nick Suzuki (Canada), Alexandre Texier (France), Oliver Kapanen (Finland) and Juraj Slafkovsky (Slovakia). The rest of the roster will…
The Pittsburgh Penguins practiced without two of their franchise cornerstones on Friday.
Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang missed Friday's practice, and the Penguins' PR account tweeted that there would be an update on their statuses on Saturday.
Forward Evgeni Malkin and defenseman Kris Letang will not practice today. Their statuses will be updated tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/as1DAv0noI
It got dicey there at the end, but the Dallas Stars (31-14-9) found a way to beat the Vegas Golden Knights (25-14-14) 5-4 in a shootout on Thursday night, after…
Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Elvis Merzlikins has won each of his past three full starts, posting a .922 save percentage and stopping at least 24 shots in each game.
With Columbus allowing the second-most shots per game (30.6), the Chicago Blackhawks will keep Merzlikins busy on home ice.
The Blackhawks allow the seventh-most shots per game (29.7), while the Blue Jackets generate the third-most (30.3), so I expect Spencer Knight to be busy tonight.
Chicago's tendy has been solid all season, posting a .910 SV%, a 2.59 GAA, and 27.03 goals saved above expected across 36 contests.
Columbus defenseman Ivan Provorov has recorded two or more shots in 11 of his past 14 games while logging a monster 25:07 of ice time.
His 6.14 shots per 60 minutes during the run also rank 13th among all regular blueliners, and Chicago is currently allowing the most shots per outing to D-men.
Odds are correct at the time of publishing and are subject to change. Not intended for use in MA. Affiliate Disclosure: Our team of experts has thoroughly researched and handpicked each product that appears on our website. We may receive compensation if you sign up through our links.
On Thursday, Jan. 29, the Seattle Kraken hosted the Toronto Maple Leafs. This game closed out their six-game homestand. The Kraken had already faced the Maple Leafs in Toronto on Oct. 18,…
The Detroit Red Wings’ trade priorities recently came into focus after TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that the team is actively searching for a second-line center and a top-four defenseman. With a number of players available at both positions, it will be fascinating to see which path Detroit ultimately chooses.
Detroit could pursue veteran options at each spot, allowing them to part with fewer assets, add short-term help, and avoid blocking future prospects from reaching the NHL. Alternatively, they could package those prospects in a blockbuster deal to land a long-term solution capable of anchoring the second-line center role for years to come.
With that in mind, we’ve identified several potential targets GM Steve Yzerman could explore, breaking down the expected cost, age, and potential impact each player could bring to Detroit.
Nazem Kadri
Recent reports indicate that Nazem Kadri has informed the Calgary Flames he would be open to a trade. The 35-year-old center has often been a driving force on an inconsistent Flames roster, and when deployed full-time in a top-six role, he has consistently delivered. Kadri has settled in as a reliable 60 to 70 point producer with upside that can still reach the 80 point range.
While he is significantly older than many of the other options on the market, Kadri fits the profile of a short-term second-line center Detroit could target. He is a player who can contribute immediately without blocking the path for future prospects and would provide steady production for the next two to three seasons.
Kadri has three years remaining on his contract after this season, carrying a $7 million cap hit. While the rising salary cap may soften that number over time, declining production in later years could still make the deal difficult to justify. As a result, Calgary would likely need to retain salary, or Detroit could look to expand the deal beyond Kadri alone.
With the Red Wings also seeking defensive depth, defenseman Zach Whitecloud stands out as a logical add-on. Acquired by the Flames in the Rasmus Andersson deal, Whitecloud has begun to draw interest around the league. The 29-year-old carries a very team-friendly $2.75 million cap hit for the next three seasons and profiles as a dependable top-four option.
Since joining Calgary, Whitecloud has been logging heavy minutes, averaging between 23 and 25 per game through his first five contests. During that stretch, he has been on the ice for two goals for and three against while recording an assist. Including Whitecloud in a larger Kadri deal would allow Detroit to address two major needs at once and eliminate the need for a secondary move.
Insiders have reported that the Columbus Blue Jackets are receiving significant interest in Charlie Coyle, and for good reason. The 33-year-old veteran center has been a steady presence for 16 NHL seasons, experiencing both highs and lows throughout his career. Coyle established himself as a consistent 45 to 60 point producer during his final seasons with the Boston Bruins before being traded to the Colorado Avalanche.
Now in his first season with Columbus, Coyle has begun to rediscover his form. He has recorded 12 goals and 23 assists for 35 points in 52 games and is on pace to surpass the 55 point mark for just the third time in his career. That level of production could draw strong interest from teams that view him as a legitimate second-line center option.
Unlike a potential Nazem Kadri deal, Coyle is unlikely to be packaged with a defenseman. However, he is slightly younger and is a pending unrestricted free agent carrying a $5.25 million cap hit. That status could make him a riskier but lower cost acquisition, as he could choose to test free agency this July.
One possible solution would be for Detroit to acquire Coyle with an extension already in place, allowing him to serve as the Red Wings’ second-line center this season and next before eventually transitioning into a bottom-six role as the contract progresses.
At the right price point, Coyle could provide Detroit with a longer-term solution negotiated directly with both the player and the team, making him a meaningful addition for years to come.
The primary concern would be avoiding a repeat of the Andrew Copp or J.T. Compher situations, where value and role become misaligned. However, by controlling the terms of Coyle’s next contract, the Red Wings may be able to mitigate that risk.
The biggest and most high-profile option on the board is an obvious one in St. Louis Blues star center Robert Thomas. At just 26 years old, Thomas has firmly established himself as one of the league’s top young centers, producing consistently in the 75 to 80 point range while posting strong two-way numbers and handling heavy minutes on a largely underwhelming Blues roster.
Selected 20th overall by St. Louis in the 2017 NHL Draft, Thomas has not only met expectations but exceeded them. If the Blues were to move him, it would require a significant return. Acquiring a young, near point-per-game center would be extremely costly, but it also represents the clearest path for Detroit to add a true impact player capable of accelerating the team’s push toward contention. It would easily be the most expensive option on this list.
There is also the possibility of St. Louis including a defenseman in a larger deal, as the Blues have explored moving veteran blueliner Justin Faulk. The 33-year-old defenseman brings extensive top-four experience and could serve as a stabilizing presence in a young Red Wings locker room, similar to the role Ben Chiarot has grown into.
A package featuring both Thomas and Faulk would undoubtedly cost Detroit a combination of high draft picks and top prospects. However, among NHL teams, the Red Wings are one of the few organizations with the assets to construct a deal that St. Louis would seriously consider. The remaining question is whether Detroit is willing to be aggressive enough to pull the trigger on a move of this magnitude.
Never miss a story by adding us to your Google News favorites!
For action-packed issues, access to the entire magazine archive and a free issue, subscribe to The Hockey News at THN.com/free. Get the latest news and trending stories by subscribing to our newsletter here. And share your thoughts by commenting below the article on THN.com or creating your own post in our community forum.
The Bobby McMann noise isn’t slowing down, and the latest chatter from the Real Kyper and Bourne show only cranked it up. Suddenly, the question isn’t if the Toronto Maple…
Ilya Solovyov appears to be settling in seamlessly with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The former Colorado Avalanche defenseman recorded his first point with his new team Thursday night as the Penguins rolled to a 6–2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks at PPG Paints Arena. After a quiet start, Pittsburgh broke the game open late in the first period, scoring six unanswered goals to take firm control.
Solovyov factored into the fifth of those goals. With the Penguins holding a 4–1 lead and the game slipping further out of reach, Solovyov took a pass from Anthony Mantha and quickly set up Ryan Shea for a blistering one-timer from the right circle that beat Blackhawks goaltender Arvid Söderblom.
Nearly two weeks ago, the Avalanche made their first trade of the season, sending Solovyov to the Penguins in exchange for 26-year-old right winger Valtteri Puustinen and Pittsburgh’s 2026 seventh-round draft pick.
Solovyov was claimed off waivers in October and went on to appear in 16 games for Colorado this season, recording one goal and two assists. Prior to the deal, he served as one of the Avalanche’s six healthy defensemen and most recently saw action in an Avs uniform on January 19 against the Washington Capitals, a game that Colorado won 5-2.
Not that the two are related, but since the Solovyov trade, the Avalanche have managed just one win. Colorado is 1–3–1 over its last five games as the team inches closer to the Olympic break.
Puustinen, 26, last appeared in the NHL during the 2024–25 season, playing in 13 games and recording three points. He posted five goals and 20 points in 52 games the previous season.
This year, Puustinen has seven goals and 26 points in 39 AHL games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Since joining the Colorado Eagles, the Avalanche’s AHL affiliate, he has recorded one point in three games.
The Benefits
If Puustinen earns a call-up to the NHL, he could provide a much-needed boost to what has been a sluggish Avalanche power play this season. The 26-year-old is an elite skater and a standout backchecker, skills that could be a significant asset for Colorado.
The Avalanche currently rank fourth-worst in the league on the man advantage, converting at just 15.7 percent. Only the Calgary Flames (15.5 percent), Philadelphia Flyers (15.5 percent), and Utah Mammoth (15.0 percent) rank lower.
Additionally, Colorado has allowed an NHL-leading nine shorthanded goals this season, with most coming on 2-on-1 rushes — situations that Puustinen is known for breaking up effectively.
From Solovyov’s perspective, the trade to Pittsburgh offers a major benefit: ice time. While he isn’t a bad player, he didn’t stand out enough on a stacked Avalanche roster. On a rebuilding team like the Penguins, he now has the opportunity to develop more fully. In Friday’s game against Chicago, Solovyov logged nearly 17 minutes of ice time, close to his season-high of 17:49, set on January 8 during Colorado’s 8–2 win over the Ottawa Senators. For the season, however, his average ice time with the Avalanche was much lower at 11:34.
Credit: Isaiah J. Downing. When Solovyov scored his first-career NHL goal.
Overall, the trade appears to benefit both teams in different ways. Colorado could eventually see an upgrade on the power play, while Solovyov gains the ice time and responsibility he likely would not have received in Colorado, especially with Devon Toews expected to return from his upper-body injury.
The Winnipeg Jets (21-25-7) have been on a rough stretch recently. They’ve lost five of their last seven games, and their issues were laid bare against the Tampa Bay Lightning…